Dr Damien Mansell
Senior Lecturer in Physical Geography
Amory Building, University of Exeter, Rennes Drive, Exeter, EX4 4RJ , UK
Office hours: Term-2 Office hours: Monday 12:00-13:00 & Friday 11:30-12:30
Term-2 Office hours:
Monday 12:00-13:00 & Friday 11:30-12:30
Damien is a senior lecturer specialising in remote sensing and Geographical Information Systems (GIS). He is programme director of the degree pathway he successfuly proposed for approval: Geography with Applied GIS.
Damien gained Senior Fellowship from the Higher Education Academy in 2017. He was awarded the Jack Dangermond Sholar award for his work integrating active learning with ArcGIS online web maps. He was awarded the Esri UK 2017 Customer Success Award for a joint student project that created a web mapping app which crowd source learner dialogue as part of a Massive Open Online Course in Climate Change. In 2015 Damien was awarded the Innovative Teaching Award from the Exeter Students' Guild.
Before coming to Exeter, Damien gained a first class B.Sc Geography degree at the University of Sheffield (2004-2007) and went on to research for a PhD at Swansea University entitled ‘Controls on the calving rate of North-West Svalbard glaciers’. Insights from the relative control of calving mechanisms were drawn from satellite images to investigate the nature and timing of relationships between changing ice-marginal extent, velocity, meltwater availability and sea-ice cover. After his PhD, Damien gained field experience by assisting on a research project in South East Greenland with the GLIMPSE Swansea University Glaciology Group.
For roles, responsibilities and pedagogic activity in education please see the Teaching Tab
Broad research specialisms:
Ice-ocean interactions, calving processes, glacier dynamics, sea-ice extent, glacier surges, remote sensing applications.
Pedagogies of GIS learning and assessment particularly related to story maps, mapping visualisations and immersive environments.
PhD Glaciology, (Swansea University)
BSc Geography, (The University of Sheffield)
Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice, (The University of Exeter)
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
My principal research interests include the calving processes of tidewater-terminating glaciers, glacier surges, cryosphere instabilities and remote sensing for glaciological applications. During my PhD at Swansea University I utilized satellite imagery to measure surface velocities, ice-front positions, meltwater availability and sea-ice concentration for glaciers in North-West Svalbard. I have developed remote sensing techniques in the automatic detection of ice-fronts form Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR), as well as utilizing SAR backscatter characteristics to measure the timings and magnitude proxy for meltwater availability over the surface layers of Svalbard glaciers and ice-caps.
Publications by category
Publications by year
Damien_Mansell Details from cache as at 2019-01-16 12:04:51
Roles & responsibilities in education:
- Programme Director for Geography with Applied GIS
- Exeter Education incubator Fellow
- Technology Enabled Learning Geogrphy Lead
- Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) co-leader and educator
- Executive Board of Learning On Screen
- Building Student Confidence with Turning Point Mobile
- Completed the HEA Profesional Development Course for Geography External Examiners
- Students As change Agents: Exeter Geography Hosts Missing Maps
- Geography Technology Enhanced learning Lead (e.g. Responseware)
- Engaging students in lectures by flipping the classroom
- Using technology to enhance learning
- How Flipped Classroom Models can use online technology to engage learners
Awards & Qualifications
- Runner Up: Learning On Screen Online Education Resource Award: Climate Change: The Science
- Senior Fellow of The Higher Education Academy, 2017
- Jack Dangermond Young Scholar Award, 2017
- Esri UK Customer Success Award, Community Engagement, 2017
- Runner Up: Innovative Teaching Award, The University of Exeter Students’ Guild, 2017
- Shortlisted: Wharton-QS Stars Reimagine Education Awards, 2016 - Climate Change Challenges & solutions, MOOC for Digital Content
- Runner Up: Esri UK Customer Success Award, Tell Your Story Using a Map, 2016
- Innovative Teaching Award, The University of Exeter Students’ Guild, 2015
- Fellow of The Higher Education Academy, PR064882, 2014
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice, The University of Exeter, 2013
- PhD, Remote Sensing in Glaciology, Swansea University, 2011
- BSc (Hons) First Class, The University of Sheffield, 2007
- Sheffield Graduate Award 2007,
- White Rose Enterprise Skill Build Award 2007