Professor John Wylie
Head of Geography, and Professor of Cultural Geography
I'm a cultural geographer. I'm interested in the development of landscape theory in geography, and more broadly in geographies of visual art, writing, haunting and performance. I'm also Managing Editor of the international journal cultural geographies (Sage). I'm originally from Enniskillen, a town in the west of Northern Ireland. I came to England to do a geography degree at the University of Manchester, graduating in 1994. Afterwards I moved to the University of Bristol to take the MSc. Society & Space course, and then stayed on at Bristol to do doctoral research, and was awarded my PhD in 2001. By then I was working as Lecturer in Human Geography at the University of Sheffield. I worked in Sheffield for six years, before moving to take up my present post at Exeter in October 2006. I was promoted to Associate Professor in June 2011, and to Professor in August 2013.
Regular Office Hours Term 1, 2016-17: Monday 09.30 - 10.30, Wednesday 09.30 - 10.30
Current and Previous Roles in Geography:
- Head of Geography (2013-16)
- Director of Postgraduate Research, College of Life and Environmental Sciences (2010-13).
- Research Group Leader: Geographies of Creativity and Knowledge (2011-13).
External Roles – Research Related:
- Editor, cultural geographies (Sage) (2013 - )
- AHRC Peer Review College Member (2011 - )
- Editorial Board Member, Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers (2008-2013)
- Editorial Board Member, Landscape (Windgather Press)
- International Advisory Board, Landscape Research (Taylor & Francis)
- Treasurer, History and Philosophy of Geography Research Group – a research group of the Royal Geographical Society/IBG.(2011-2013)
External Roles – Education Related
- External Examiner, Human Geography Undergraduate Degrees, School of Geographical Sciences, University of Bristol (2016-2020)
- External Examiner, MA Landscape Archaeology, NUI Galway (2013-2016)
- External Examiner, BA Geography programme, Department of Geography, University of Manchester (2010 - 2013)
- External Examiner, Masters by Research Methods, Department of Geography, University of Durham (2007-2010)
- External scrutineer, MSc Modernity, Space and Place & MA Globalisation, Department of Geography, UCL.
|Tel||+44 (0) 1392 723339|
University of Exeter